The comprehensive insurance is a temporary insurance that is taken out with the purchase of a new car. Very interesting when you have a car loan on your car. Because if you are involved in a car accident and you are in error, you have to pay for the costs of your own car. That can be a serious financial downer.
What is a comprehensive insurance?
The idea behind the omnium is that any damage to your own car will be repaired (vandalism, accident, hail, fire, broken glass…). In the event of a total loss or theft, a compensation will be received.
Advantages compared to normal BA insurance?
An omnium therefore has many advantages
- Any damage is compensated in one way or another depending on the type of omnium one takes. Even when one is in error.
- In the event of an accident abroad, an omnium will ensure that people are compensated more quickly for any damage.
- A fully comprehensive must be taken out with the insurance company with which you have taken out the BA insurance.
- The fully comprehensive insurance is expensive to take out.
- There are major differences between fully comprehensive insurance and BA liability, which is the same for most insurance companies. So a lot of sifting work to close off a good omnium.
Types of omnium: Mini, midi and maxi.
The name: mini, midi and maxi emphasize the number of coverages that one has in the insurance contract and not a reference to the age of the car. That has nothing to do with it anyway. That is, a maxi-omnium covers much more than a mini-omnium. A mini-omnium, for example, can compensate a lot of damage except damage from an accident, for example. That is important to know, I think.
Omnium points for attention
To give an idea of a number of issues that you should pay attention to when concluding an omnium, we provide a number of examples here.
Omnium in case of theft?
- The first thing to pay attention to is what the car is actually covered for. What damage and what ” theft ” actually entails. At some insurance companies there must be effective proof of burglary (burglary tracks). That becomes more difficult and more difficult because the latest new cars can be hacked electronically without burglary traces.
- If the insurance company claims that you have committed a gross error, the payment of the damage may be refused, even if you are covered under your comprehensive contract. A good example is the loss of keys that does not cover theft. If you have been driving drunk, you will not be reimbursed. Some contracts state that they themselves must prove that they have not committed a serious mistake. It is best to avoid those contracts as that is virtually impossible.
- Maintenance costs as a result of wear and tear are not covered by the comprehensive insurance.
- Look closely at the Franchise in your insurance. Not every euro in costs is reimbursed. Young drivers are often the victims of this. The Franchise can be twice as expensive. Do you know the term English Franchise? This means that people are only reimbursed for the costs if the costs exceed a certain threshold value.
- Total loss: The compensation for total loss is calculated by the companies in different ways. That can even vary up to 10,000 euros.
- There are also major differences when it comes to towing a vehicle and getting a replacement car. View this in the comprehensive insurance. You may be able to take out additional travel assistance insurance so that you are fully covered. It is true that a KBC comprehensive body is the most appropriate here as they offer comprehensive travel assistance insurance in their fully comprehensive body.
- The basic value that one assigns to a car for the damage can be very varied. Often you cannot buy another car of the same brand, model and year with that amount.
- Check the comprehensive contract to see what happens in the event of an accident caused by an animal collision. For example, indirect damage (avoidance and collision) cannot be covered by the insurance company.
When the cost is important
Is the price of the omnium premium the decisive factor for the choice of a BA + omnium.
Please note, in this case we are looking at the cheapest comprehensive insurance on the market. That does not mean that this comprehensive cover also covers all the guarantees that are important to you.